Saturday, January 17, 2009

For The Love Of Food


WARNING: This post may cause drool....

I really do have a love affair with food. It started about the time of my love affair with H M, and both have been an addiction ever since. The problem is that HM is such a great cook, and makes everything from scratch, uses lots of market and organic produce and goes to a lot of trouble to prepare and display his food for others. I think it may be the reason I married him...Men are quite sexy in the kitchen, don't you think?
He cooks everything from meringue to pork pies. Some of his specialties are; Pancakes, paella, indian curry, chicken pie, spanish meatballs, pizza, ceasar salad, the list goes on.
He also makes all the birthday cakes in the family. His signature cake is a triple layer Victoria Sponge (what man even knows what that is?). The man doesn't use a recipe for this cake.....which is quite unbelievable, but true. Each sponge layer has a different flavour, namely, vanilla, rose water and chocolate. The butter icing that fills the sponge has the same corresponding flavours. It is amazing and everyone always eats every last crumb! HM also makes us his yearly Christmas Cake (a yummy and spicy recipe from Sri Lanka) and loads of Mince Tarts. De-Lish...

Now I have become a bit a good cook too, by just being around him and watching him in action, and I do have my own specialty dishes as well, but I still prefer to eat rather than cook. I don't even mind washing up, as long as I don't have to do the cooking.
Now, as for drinking, that is also a guilty addiction, because as you can see, there is a lot of amazing food at our place, and you have to wash it down with something, usually an Australian Shiraz or Champagne. Unfortunately , the bourgious in me really pops out when it comes to food....yes I have become a food snob.


We love all the most fattening, cholesterol-laden foods, and even though we eat loads and loads of fresh fruit and vegetables, we have a lot to feel guilty about. Cheeses and chocolate are our most wicked sin, as we probably could never give them up. Butter is pretty hard to give up also, we do every so often and after about a month, one of us sheepishly brings some home and then we both pig out on it on toast.



The beginings of a curry....yum













I think HM made me these poached pears for my 40th birthday.....teamed with the best CAVA in the world ...Freixenet. A very nice combination.
Now, in a previous post I had expressed the love of sleep as one of my favourite things...
I think food wins.
Sleep is a very close second place.



2 comments:

  1. Chocolate is a challenge for my wife as well....Dark chocolate. Hope you had a a fantastic weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love food too. I have a post I'm working on about being in love with food. I am a food-a-holic.

    ReplyDelete