Thursday, January 8, 2009

COLOUR and my Che Guevara




Those who know me will know, I love lots of colour, the brighter the better. I think now that I am starting to reflect on my life and develop a fraction of insight I would say that, for me it is about optimism. Colour exudes optimism for me. Optimism is the intangible thing that I have been desperately trying to grab a hold of for years. Sometimes it seems impossible to grasp and cling to. The bright colours on the walls, shelves, garden and furnishings of my humble abode give me a daily dose of optimism as I go about my daily (frantic) busy-ness. I have, over the years, flippantly remarked about the fact that the colours I choose to have around me are 'cheap and cheery', but the choice runs much much deeper....a deep and desperate need to make the really worn, scratched, beaten down, faded, ugly, weathered, cracked, weary, faint, spent, weak, eroded, grey, tired, jaded and fatigued parts of myself all shiny, bright, fresh, invigorated, unique, brilliant, strong, sparkly and beautiful again. That is my neurosis about colour. I can tell you it doesn't always work, but I have fun with the paint tins in the process!


Which brings me to a related matter. My current obsession with Frida Kahlo. She is my Che Guevera. I find her inspirational if not a little bit of a kindred spirit (I know that is very cheeky of me because she is a very famous and brilliant icon of the art world...but aaahh humour me a little). These are some of the reasons she is on my page:


Frida inspires me because she has:
  1. Suffered huge amounts of pain and suffering, somehow turning that hidiousness into great beauty.


  2. Used huge amounts of colour in her paintings, her life, her surroundings, her 'self'


  3. Passion in her love for a very flawed man (towards the end of her life, built two houses connected by a walkway, one for her and one for Diego....now that is BRILLIANCE!)


  4. Had the courage to portray herself in very confronting and honest ways


  5. Worn the most incredible odornments, huge turquoise and coral necklaces and rings, her hair filled with fresh brightly coloured flowers and her dresses almost tribal in colour and texture. (Watch out guys....I think I may have the Frida in me lurking, waiting to explode!)


  6. Become an Icon for The Day Of The Dead (which has fascinated me for many years and now I am particularly obsessed by honouring the dead in my life) The intricately painted Frida Kahlo skulls and skeletons are beautiful to me.


  7. Created many many mesmerising pieces of art that speak to me in many, many ways.

I say 'VIVA LA FRIDA' as Diego did after she died....too late, bum head (Unlike the Frida I despise the Diego)

No comments:

Post a Comment